Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Old Books

Old is relative... last night I watched an episode of "The Brady Bunch" with my 11 year old son and my wife. Seems like they lived on a different planet! Mrs. Brady was sitting under a hair dryer!

Anway, i'm including a couple of books from 70's (1970's!) in my list of "old books" you might consider reading this summer.

Knowing God, by JI Packer, 1973
This is, quite simply, the first book that every Christian should read

Basic Christianity, John Stott,
Absolutely the best brief summary of the person and work of Jesus Christ.

Mere Christianity, CS Lewis, 1940's or 50's
This collection of essays is absolutely stunning in readibility, persuasiveness, and heart-warming.

Morning & Evening, Charles Spurgeon
A twice-daily devotional from 19th century London minister

Spiritual Depression, Its Causes & Cures by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, 1964
Oh my! This medical doctor turned preacher helps you understand the human heart's struggles and points you to Christ beautifully.


Pretty sad so far that my "old book list" goes back only to 1800's.