Friday, July 29, 2005

Consecration

Consecration. This word came up in our weekly elders prayer/meeting/discussion time this morning. We are hoping to clarify this for you in coming weeks during the worship service. Here's my first pass at it.

Having confessed our sin TO God and being reminded BY God of the finished work of Jesus Christ FOR us... we consecrate ourselves TO God. Meaning we say simply, "We are yours. We will be yours. You have us. Your kingdom come, in my life and through my life."

John Calvin, who gets a rap for being some unemotional inventer of the doctrine of election had a personal seal (as did many in his day). And it sounds like a 21st century praise song
"I offer you my heart, Lord, promptly and sincerely."

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it... seal it for Thy courts above.

No comments: