Tuesday, April 12, 2005

You don't speak Korean

On Saturday Steve Lammers and i were at a presbytery meeting. A man spoke to us about the bible's emphasis on congregational prayer as a main work of every local church. Steve and I were very impacted by this teaching. More on that later. For now, one little anecdote:

The American once said to a Korean, "How come the Korean church is able to pray so effectively?"
Korean response: "You don't understand b/c you don't speak Korean."
American: "Tell me anyway."
Korean: "If our prayer meeting is 60 minutes, you can bet that the first 30 are praying for our praying. We feel so weak at prayer that we generally devote 1/2 of our prayer time to asking God to teach us to pray."

I couldn't remember the last time I had asked God to help me become a pray-er. That is why i led you the way i did, on Sunday morning and again in "night church". At least for this week, I will conclude each post with a line of prayer and i ask you to join me in praying it...
"Lord, teach Christ Community to pray."

No comments: